Childhood and Education
GERAKSIKH President had his primary and secondary education at the Anglo Chinese School Ipoh till he completed his Secondary Education.
Thereafter for a short stint, he worked as a stringer before leaving for United Kingdom to read law. In 1975, he completed his Bachelor of Laws with Honour (University of London, King’s College) and obtained his Barrister at Law from Lincoln’s Inn and thereafter returned to Malaysia.
Upon return, he joined the Malaysian Judicial service and served as a Magistrate. He opted to practice law in his home town of Ipoh.
Awards and Honours
Tan Sri’s abilities and tireless services to the nation have not gone unnoticed. He was conferred the following awards:
- Pingat Pekerti Terpilih (PPT) in 1980,
- Darjah Ahli Mahkota Perak (AMP) in 1982,
- Darjah Kesatria Mangku Negara (KMN) in 1983,
- Darjah Paduka Cura Simanja Kini (PCM) in 1986,
- Darjah Dato’ Paduka Mahkota Perak (DPMP) in 1988 which carries the title of Dato’,
- Justice of Peace (JP) in 1991,
- Darjah Johan Setia Mahkota (JSM) in 1992,
- Darjah Dato’ Seri Paduka Mahkota Perak (SPMP) in 1997 which carries the title of Dato’ Seri; and
- Darjah Panglima Setia Mahkota (PSM) in 2006 which carries the title of Tan Sri.
A role model for the young and old alike, Tan Sri Darshan Singh epitomizes the spirit that perseverance and devotion pay off.
Tan Sri Darshan Singh has served in various capacities in a wide spectrum. Some which includes the following:
- President, Malaysian Sikh Union
- Chairman, Malaysian Sikh Union (Perak)
- President, Wadda Gurdwara Sahib Ipoh (Central Sikh Temple)
- Chairman, M.I.C. Jansz Avenue Branch
- Vice President, Federation of Malaysian Consumers Association
- Board of Governors, St. Michael’s Institution Ipoh
- Chairman, Parent Teacher Association of St. Michael’s Institution, Ipoh
- Chairman, Parent Teacher Association of S.M. Main Convent, Ipoh
- President, Perak Cycling Association
Married to Puan Sri Datin Seri Suveender Kaur, and is blessed with four children, 3 boys and 1 girl.